The Canton of Vaud hosts several high-quality universities. The website SwisstudyCheck explains the difference between a public and a private university, how the Swiss university recognition system works, and introduces you to the universities in our canton.
Here you will find a short presentation of each university and institute as well as links for more information:
- The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties with approximately 17’100 students and about 4’400 research, teaching and technical staff. Its research activities focus on three main themes: human and social sciences, life sciences and medicine, and environmental sciences. UNIL lays great store by the quality and innovation of its teaching. This is characterised by a highly interdisciplinary approach which is even reflected in the organisation of its faculties.
- The EPFL (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne) is Europe’s most cosmopolitan technical university. It welcomes students, professors and collaborators of more than 120 nationalities. EPFL has both a Swiss and international vocation and focuses on three missions: teaching, research and innovation. EPFL collaborates with an important network of partners, including other universities and colleges, secondary schools and gymnasiums, industry and the economy, political circles and the general public, with the aim of having a real impact on society.
- The IMD (International Institute for Management Development) is an academic institution and a place where entrepreneurial spirit and world-renowned researchers meet industry-leading businesses and start-up. A world-leading Executive Education.
- The University of Teacher Education of the Canton of Vaud offers the full range of training services for teaching professions. At the heart of the powerful Lake Geneva university fabric that it nurtures and benefits from, the HEP Vaud plays an important role on the Swiss scene of research in educational science.
- The Swiss Federal University for Vocational Education and Training (SFUVET) is Switzerland’s expert organization for vocational education and training. We offer basic and continuing training to VET professionals, conduct VET research, contribute to the development of occupations and support international cooperation in vocational and professional education and training.
- The following schools are part of the University of Applied Science - Western Switzerland (HES-SO) which currently hosts some 21'000 students in a vast network of schools located in the cantons of Fribourg, Geneva, Jura, Neuchâtel, Valais, Vaud and Berne. Its many sites offer courses and other services in six major fields of study: Engineering and Architecture; Business, Management and Services; Design and Fine Arts; Health Sciences; Social Work; Music and Performing Arts.
- School of Art & Design - ECAL/ Ecole cantonale d'art de Lausanne, is a world-class institution, offering excellent teaching, unique student and graduate communities, a privileged network of recognised experts and state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- HEMU – Haute Ecole de Musique is an educational institution reputed for its demanding and comprehensive elite training, as well as its involvement with professional circles and its investment in the musical life. Multidisciplinary and multi-genre, the HEMU encompasses every training profile in classical, jazz and pop music.
- School of Engineering and Management - HEIG-VD houses more than 2’000 students in ten top professional institutes in engineering and business studies. HEIG-VD transforms knowledge into products and services with high added value, by linking the latest theoretical knowledge with the demands of professional practice.
- School of Social Work and Health Sciences Lausanne - HETSL offers Bachelor's level courses in Social Work and Occupational therapy. Its teaching is practice-oriented and prepares tomorrow’s professionals to be involved at the heart of society.
- La Source, School of Nursing, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Swizerland was founded in 1859 as the world’s first secular nursing school. Since that time, it has consistently offered high-level education, incorporating all the profession’s human, scientific and technical dimensions.
- School of Health Sciences - HESAV – Located in Lausanne, in the heart of the CHUV hospital complex, we train health professionals in four Bachelor courses: Nursing, Medical radiology technique, Physiotherapy, Midwifery. We also offer numerous continuing and postgraduate training courses as well as a Health Foundation Year (APS).
- At the EHL Hospitality Business School: Imagine students acquiring soft skills in simulation games, developing a strategic mindset in junior consulting jobs and practicing management techniques in their extra-curricular activities? This is EHL, where we redefine hospitality leadership as a smart mix of autonomous thinking, respect, empathy and caring for others. We believe that soft skills paired with great know-how is what defines the most inspiring people.
- La Manufacture - Haute école des arts de la scène approaches courses in theatre and dance from a perspective of research and creativity.
- CHANGINS - Haute école de viticulture et oenologie offers education and research in viticulture and oenology. At BA level, the engineer in viticulture and oenology is distinguished by his high-level technical, theoretical and practical skills in the fields of viticulture, oenology and business management. He has a sustainable and innovative approach to the various aspects of his profession.